Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default DIY USB Button Box

Hi all,

I'm building a USB button box, and yesterday I told Pelle I'd post pictures of the process here, so here they are.

Material needed/price (a):

1 - a cheap or old digital gamepad with at least 10 buttons/8,5€
    2 - A moulded project box (150x80x45mmm) or any kind of similar box/7,25€
    3 - 8 pressure switches, 2 on/off lever switches/around 1,5€ each
    4 - metalic support to hold the box and fix it to the table
    5 - one paint spray/2,9 euros
    6 - multimeter to find/check connections
    7 - soldering iron, tools (drill, wire cutter, etc.)
    8- basic knowlodge of workmanship/wiring/electric connections

(a) - I paid for the materials I had to buy around 34€, but the final price depends on the quality of the materials used, number of buttons, and finishing degree. As an example, if you find buttons for 1€ each, you spend 5€ less than me. If you do not paint the box, you save almost 3 €. If you use only 8 buttons instead of 10, another 3€. As you see, it's not hard to cut 11€ keeping almost the same functionalities. If you use an electrical ground box instead of an electronic project box, you spend 2,5€ instead of 7,25€. With a careful search of materials, it's possible to build one for less than 20€.

DIY USB button box - raw 001.JPGDIY USB button box - raw 002.JPGDIY USB button box - raw 003.JPGDIY USB button box - raw 004.JPGDIY USB button box - raw 005.JPGDIY USB button box - raw 006.JPG

Picture labels:
    1 - PCB (printed circuit board) inside the gamepad
    2 - Same PCB with the USB cable
    3 - pressure switch (orange) and on/off lever switch
    4 - moulded project box (with hole for the switches)
    5 - moulded project box (open)
    6 - metalic support
    Last edited by Alucard; 24-11-12 at 12:17.

DIY USB button box - raw 007.JPGDIY USB button box - raw 008.JPG

7 - digital gamepad
    8 - digital gamepad (open, with the reverse of the PCB visible)

At this stage, I'd say I have 30 or 40% of the work done. To do list:
    - adjust the holes in the box the switches. so far they are all in 8mm, but 2 must have 12mm and 8 15mm diameter
    - soldering electrical wires to the PCB (1 common and 10 to each contact)
    - soldering these wires to the switches
    - spray paint the metalic support and the box
    - fixing the metalic support with the box attached to my desk
    - plugging the USB plug to PC and configuring the buttons in game options/controlers...
    Last edited by Alucard; 23-11-12 at 21:26.

Great work Alu we look forward to seeing the finished result...& how well it works
    Altbierbude Laptimes

Wish me luck!...If all goes well, I'll make a small video showing it working. I have to apologise for the quality of the pictures, because my HP camera is very old and lacks resolution. Maybe I can get a decent video if my wife lends me her mobile phone...

Thumbs up Done

Finally finished, tested and working. Here's some photos:

001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG

There's some work yet to be done on the stickers to make it look better, but for now it will do. Later on I'll make a video and post the link here.

Ok, here's the link to YouTube:

DIY USB Button Box

Now the problem is to think which functions to assign, as most of them are already in the wheel buttons and I'm used to them, so it's not a good idea to change most of these. I think I will assign the toggle buttons (mirrors, motec lcd display, dials, etc) to the black buttons, to avoid accidentally disabling them when I type numbers in chat.

Sorry for the poor video quality, the cell phone camera was only 320x240.

Really nice work & not least, it works Pics & Video is good, we can easily see what it is & Thx for a really good idea

This Forum supports different places with video (can't remember them all) but in the next (or Edit your post) you can put the link to YouTube in this:
    Altbierbude Laptimes

Post Update

Hi all,

I've updated the stickers on the USB Button Box to give a more professional look. I've also changed the 2 top buttons because the old ones were ON/OFF with fixed positions; these new ones are like bell ring buttons: after beeing pressed to ON position, they return to OFF position. The first button on top right has 3 positions: middle (OFF), top (ON) and bottom (ON), which allows me to use it for the brake bias function. Pressing UP activates brake bias to front wheels, and pressing down activates to rear wheels.
    I've also replaced all the in-game toggle commands mapped by default to the keyboard numeric keys (mirror, hud, lcd, dials and gear indicator) to the available buttons in the box. This prevents these functions from beeing disabled when using numbers in the realtime chat.

If anyone needs help building one, just say so and I'll be happy to help with more detailed and specific instructions. Or look in google for DIY (do it yourself) USB Button Box., there lots of good information and ideas around.

IMG_20130105_152000.jpgbutton box 003.JPG
    Last edited by Alucard; 06-01-13 at 02:00.

Button functions on the wheel:

CSR E button functions.jpg

Hi all!
    Excellent external unit turned out! It looks very professional. Steering unit, one of the best at the moment. You seriously prepared for the race, Alucard.
    And I was not able to customize the buttons on the LG 27, does not work. Have to use only the top two buttons.
    micro-ATX tower case SilverStone Temjin TJ08\Powersupply Seasonic X-660 (SS-660KM) 660W\ASUS Xonar D2/PM \ASUS Radeon HD 7970\ASUS P8Z68M-PRO\Intel Core i5 2500K\Corsair Hydro Series H80\Patriot Division 2 Viper Xtreme DDR-III DIMM 8Gb KIT 2*4G [PC3-17000] CL11\240Gb SSD Corsair Neutron GTX\Logitech G27 Racing Wheel\Blu-ray Pioneer BDR-207DBK Black\24" Samsung P2470 HD LCD