Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

I've started digging through my old slides and negatives ... I do have a lot of stuff on this Datsun. I've ordered a proper scanner so I can load digitize and share these photos. In the mean time, I've found a couple Youtube vids you might enjoy.

The first is from a track I raced on a bit back in the day, Bridgehampton. This is an SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) event with it's various races for its various classes. The PLN and the Bob sharp Datsun appears toward the end of the vid, racing against a Mazda RX7 and a TR8 (I think) with the roof cut off. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQDSmvPbcKE

You might also enjoy this vid of the 1978 SCCA National Run offs. Sam Posey does a very nice job explaining things. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LruOfTlZhAQ

Enjoy!

Nice
    To my surprice 2xVOLVO in this video, Amazon & 142 (Amazon 4:15) (142 4:36) & more Swedish, SAAB

1st time I see Paul Newman in real race on this video

Altbierbude Laptimes

You know Volvo? My first car ever (not the first car I drove ... that was a 1953 Buick Roadmaster) ... but my own first car was a a 1960 Volvo PV544. LOVED that car. Over here, we didn't have model names of Volvos ... we just had numbers. the "Amazon" was know as the 122s. The 140 series was a great car ... solid ... good for family.

I've seen race prepared 242's on the track ... eating up American cars with V8 engines. A little startling at first to see a Volvo sedan move that fast, but Americans will race nearly ANYTHING.

My slide scanner is on the way ... any day now.

PLN 1.jpgPLN 2.jpgPLN 3.jpg

I couldn't wait for the scanner. I took these from one of my old scrapbooks.

This series of photos are from an SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) National (i.e., A big nation wide event, not a small regional one. America is a BIG country) race held at Lime Rock Park Race Track (Connecticut, US and A) on a VERY rainy weekend back in 1978. Note: NO motor drive on camera!!!

Someback ground ... Yep, that's PLN himself. He had gridded up on the pole, and the Datsun he is spinning with had gridded second.

The first photo shows PLN just after the green flag. You can just make out the nose of the second position car (who, if I remember correctly is a guy named Don Devendorf, but it was 40 years ago. It could be ANYBODY.).

What you don't see, is that the car coming into the picture hit PLN and started all the drama. I wasn't expecting it to happen ... and i missed the shot.

The second photo shows the two cars spinning. This corner is called Big Bend ... and is really driven as TWO corners, T1 & T 2.

Can you see all that lush green grass? Even when it's dry, its REAL slippery. When it's wet ... well ... I've seen cars slide SO hard, and SO fast and SO far ... they disappear in all those bushes and slide almost all the way to the Housatonic River, which is almost 5 miles away!

The third photo shows car two hitting the dirt mound. Of course, PLN hit him.

After Newman, hits this guy, he backs up ... and makes his way over the slick grass back onto the track, but now he is second to last. Within 8 laps PLN worked his way back up front and was challenging for the lead when he was hit passing a back marker and knocked off the track ... in nearly the very same place.

Regaining the track, he eventually finished ... with a 3rd place! In a heavy rain.

Yeah ... Newman was THAT good.

Quote Originally Posted by tedd60 View Post

I couldn't wait for the scanner. I took these from one of my old scrapbooks.
    ...& it was good you couldn't wait, a huge thank you
    Hope you find more of #33, because it's hard to find on Google

Edit: This is a bit of fun, one thing I didn't know, that you call Paul Newman, PLN (Paul Leonard Newman)
    ...& it gave many more results on google, incl link to GTLDK
    Last edited by Pelle_B; 19-03-18 at 07:41.
    Altbierbude Laptimes

Also google search ... Bob Sharp Racing Datsun

Lots of photos and stories, including photos of the other types of Datsuns Bob Sharp built and raced. Good Stuff!

Default Finally: #33 ETCC on ABB

Note: #33 ETCC is v1.2 on ABB...but you can download v1.5 here
    Altbierbude Laptimes